Top safety tips for new homeowners in Des Moines
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re nearing the date of closing, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for your family. You’re likely thinking about how you should customize your house with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, make sure you consider home security too. Keeping those you care about protected should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll show you how with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Des Moines.
Complete a safety review of your new Des Moines property
Now that you’re contemplating safety, find out what your new home has in terms of protection. First, make certain you have operational smoke detectors. Test all of them and change batteries if needed. Are carbon monoxide detectors present? Is there a water sensor downstairs? This is also an excellent time to replace door locks and investigate all window locks. Go through every space and scope out your new house.
Smart security tips for your Des Moines home
Once you’ve done your initial check of safety alarms and locks, you may think about improving your property’s safety. Begin with these security tips for your home in Des Moines.
- Invest in a modern home security system. One of the best things a new homeowner in Des Moines can do is install a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your home even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You may review live video footage, engage door locks, and even speak with visitors on your front steps straight from your mobile device. You may customize with worthwhile security measures such as video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Update outdoor lights. Exterior lights with motion detectors are a smart way to turn away prospective intruders. You may even integrate them with outdoor cameras. When a motion detector is set off, it can instruct your outdoor camera to start recording.
- Take care of your yard. Are you able to easily see all of your property from inside? Are there large bushes and trees impeeding the view? Remove likely hiding spots for trespassers by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will be grateful for it too.
- Meet folks in your community. Speaking of your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friends with people nearby, they’ll be more likely to let you know if they detect suspicious activity. You might also join your neighborhood’s social media page if one is established.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you go with a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re inside by illuminating smart light bulbs at scheduled moments. This is a fantastic option when you’re at work or on vacation.